Friday, June 2, 2017

The Student Side: Introducing Rowan Hepps Keeney



Welcome Class of 2021!

My name is Rowan Hepps Keeney and I'll be working in the Dean of Studies, along with Paige, throughout the summer to help answer any questions you all might have. We'll be working hard to make sure that you can access any assistance you may need to make your transition to Barnard as seamless as possible, so feel free to reach out if you need anything!

A little about me! I'm a rising senior at Barnard majoring in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies with a concentration in Activist Theatre -- a concentration I was able to create with the help of the WGSS Department Chair to combine my interests of politics and art/performance. I'm the president of GendeRevolution, Columbia's trans, non-binary and gender-questioning support and advocacy group, a resident of Q House, a founding campus ambassador for GLAAD, an actor in several productions of Columbia University Players and Columbia University VDay, as well as working as a research assistant for my advisor, and as a Head Barnard Student Admissions Representative.

Choosing Barnard was one of the best decisions I've ever made -- it quickly became not only a center for my academic, extracurricular, and professional life but a safe place for me to learn and grow as an artist, scholar, and person. I hope that you all find it to be a similar haven for you as well. I wish you all the best and can't wait to hear from you soon!