The English department is delighted to offer a special, first-year-only section of the creative writing course "Fiction and Personal Narrative."
English BC3105 section 002
Instructor: Mary E Keane
BC FIRSTYEARS ONLY; WRITING SAMPLE DUE August 21, 2017
Course Description/Prerequisites: This section is only open to Barnard First-Year students. Writing sample required to apply: required cover sheet and instructions are available here: http://english.barnard.edu/forms-procedures/forms. Students cannot add this course to their schedules until after they are admitted. Short stories and other imaginative and personal writing.
If you're interested in this course, please follow the instructions below, which can also be found on the Barnard English Department website.
Deadline: 11:59 p.m. a week before NSOP begins (August 21, 2017 for the fall 2017 semester)
- Fill out the required Google Form, following all listed instructions. (If you are a Columbia student, please fill out this Google Form.)
- Please choose three courses to which you'd like to apply.
- Make sure your the name of your writing sample file contains the following:
- Your first name
- Your last name
- Your UNI
- Submit the appropriate Google Form with your writing sample attached by 11:59pm, August 21.
- Writing Sample Guidelines.
- Writing samples should be creative and appropriate to the courses requested: 4-6 pages of fiction or personal narrative for prose writing courses, 3-4 pages of poetry for poetry writing, a scene or short story with dialogue for playwriting.
- They should be neat, typed, and double-spaced.
- They should not be expository or primarily analytical. No genre fiction (e.g., fantasy, zombies, YA, etc.), please.
- Please Note.
- You may not enroll in two creative writing courses simultaneously. (Please also note that screenwriting courses are part of the Film Studies Program and have their own sign-up process. However, if you are admitted to a screenwriting course in addition to a creative writing course, you are strongly advised to take only one writing class in any given semester.)
- Admit lists for writing courses will be posted on the bulletin board near Prof. Szell's office (423 Barnard Hall), on the departmental bulletin board across from 417 Barnard Hall, and on the English Department website.
- Because writing courses generally have more applicants than available places, you should have an alternative course in mind. Students cannot add writing courses to their schedules until after they are admitted.
- The instructor will assume that any student absent from the first class meeting is no longer interested in enrolling and will remove that student's name from the list, including the waiting list if there is one.
- Questions may be directed to Prof. Timea Szell, Director of Creative Writing at email@example.com.